Steps to Effective Online Marketing (1 OF 5)
Like every other product out in the market, you need to properly promote your website in order to attract people. The purpose of this 5 article series is to shed light on different tried and tested web marketing strategies which will help generate traffic to your website and increase your website’s page rank.
As opposed to paid ads, search engine optimization strategies (SEO for short) are inexpensive and organic ways of increasing your website’s page rank and traffic. Search engine optimization is also one of the most important aspects of web promotion. The reason being that the search engines like Google or Yahoo! send out virtual ‘spiders’ in order to index various webpages. As being indexed is the primary step towards traffic generation and page rank boost, it is important to carefully groom your webpages for optimal indexing. Therefore, we make use of search engine optimization strategies to allow these virtual ‘spiders’ to easily crawl through our webpages and identify all the aspects of the webpages important for indexing. The basic, most effective SEO strategies are:
- Keyword-rich webpage title: Webpage titles are important as they appear as hyperlinks to your webpages in search engine results. As these titles consist of 5 to 8 words, the goal is to come up with enticing and descriptive titles which properly include one or two important keywords related to the webpage. Enclose the title text within the <TITILE></TITLE> tags and include this within the <HEAD></HEAD> tags. Keyword prominence is a useful element to remember when deciding on a title for your webpages, especially the homepage. As majority of the web-users make use of keywords when searching for websites that are of interest to them, it is important to incorporate those keywords within the title and not just the name of your company or website. For example, ‘Aspire Designs – Best Web Solutions’ is a better title as compared to just ‘Aspire Designs’.
- META description tag: Even though META tags no longer play a high role in improving the ranking of the website, it does, however, play an active role in attracting traffic. META tags appear as description of the webpage under the hyperlink on the search engine result page. Web-users are more attracted to website links which have a short description below it to outline what the website is all about. META tags are limited to 255 characters out of which around 60 characters are previewed on Google result page. Therefore, it is important to create brief, keyword-rich, and informative META tags in order to appeal to the web-users. It should not take long to come up with appropriate META description tags if you first develop your website content and try to summarize the purpose and the aims of the website using keyword-rich text. Similar to title tags, Meta tags should be placed within the <HEAD></HEAD> tags in the following format:
<META NAME=”DESCRIPTION” CONTENT=”Aspire Designs is a one stop shop for all web solutions”>
- Keywords within Headers (H1, H2, H3): Search engines will not analyze your Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) in order to determine the headlines to your website content. Therefore, it is essential to incorporate Header tags (H1, H2, H3, and so on) within your website content to clearly define headlines and sub-heads. Furthermore, as search engine spiders consider headlines and sub-heads to be one of the most important and defining features of the webpages, it is vital to include keywords which are linked to your website.
- Keywords within Body Text: First paragraphs are mostly introductory paragraphs which defines the basic themes of the website. Using keywords in the first paragraph of your body text is important as most search engines consider it to be the most important part of the entire content. However, including a large number of keywords in the first paragraph is not appropriate. Popular search engines like Google simply require approximately 1.5% to 2% of keyword density within the first paragraph to identify which words are most relevant to the website. Therefore, more is not always better in case of keywords as including a large amount of keywords would only make the website content sound strange and senseless.
- Keywords in ALT Attribute of Image Tags: Keyword-rich ALT attributes improve the ranking of your website images within the image search results, which could contribute towards rank building of your website. Moreover, it gives search engines additional clues as to what the important keywords are and makes the website more accessible.
- Keywords as In-Text Hyperlinks: In-text hyperlinks or hyperlinks within the content of your website serve as clues for the search engines when determining the significant and prominent aspects of your websites. As search engines automatically consider these in-text hyperlinks to be important, it is important to hyperlink keywords or key phrases relevant to your website and the hyperlinked webpage.